Imagination is incredibly helpful for getting us out of the doldrums and for refocusing on dreams. Yet, it's just the beginning toward establishing a positive mindset. Next, you need to figure out the steps to get moving to achieve your dream.
As author and speaker, Les Brown, said, "If you set goals and go after them with all the determination you can muster, your gifts will take you places that will amaze you."*
Think about goals as the stepping stones to something you really want. Sometimes people set too lofty of goals and then become discouraged when those goals are too hard to fulfill.
Try This: Set a Simple Goal
You can find even more success when you approach a desire, a dream or a longing by setting goals to keep you on track. Use the SMART ** way of creating your goals:
- Specific or strategic: What will be accomplished? What actions will you take?
- Measurable or motivating: What data will measure the goal? How much? How well?
- Achievable or attainable: Is the goal doable? Do you have the necessary skills and resources?
- Relevant or realistic: How does the goal align with broader goals? Why is the result important?
- Time-bound or time-limited: What is the time frame for accomplishing the goal?**
Looking ahead to 2023, I am determining some short-term goals right now to get me set up for the new year. These goals are baby steps or easy to accomplish ones to help get me moving and grooving to take on bigger goals next year!
* Les Brown quote https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/les_brown_391112.
** SMART Goals: A How to Guide from the University of California