Watching our Arizona State University Sun Devil football team play this season has been challenging. There have been lots of changes including the release of a famous coach. My hubby, Den, has gotten upset and proclaimed he'll give up our season tickets next year.
My answer is, "Den, we're fans - to enjoy watching the team play and support the young players pursue their dream of sport success." Plus, cheering at a game reminds us as fans how wonderful "play" is.
Consider this quote from author, George Bernard Shaw: "We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." *
Try This: Play for the Happy Win
When was the last time you played a card game, enjoyed a round of golf, or tossed a ball for a dog? The idea is simple, when we play, our endorphins start making us feel happier. Jumpstart your mood by playing like this:
- Visit a playground and swing - Being active stimulates the neurons that fire in the brain.**
- Read a racy novel or great mystery - Escape into your imagination.
- Dance around the room to a favorite pop tune - Even in the car, you can bop around!
- Make something with Legos or building blocks - Or grab a deck and make a house of cards.
- Get down on the floor with a child, grandchild or pet and some toys - Activity is more fun when playing face to face.
- Play cards or a board game with the family - When others are not available, play solitaire, word search, mahjong or other game on your computer.
The excitement of winning while playing often brings a smile, a hoot of joy, and maybe even a "yahoo!"
* George Bernard Shaw quote: https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/5217.George_Bernard_Shaw?page=2
** Kids activity quote: https://kidsactivitiesblog.com/115532/play-highest-form-research/