During a trip last week to New Orleans to speak at a conference, it was surprising to get hit with anxiety. The week had been crazy with a family member hospitalized, requiring surgery, while also needing to pack and travel. So, it was incredible to have nerves throwing me off. When we are faced with difficult situations, it is possible to manage and reduce anxiety. The key is to consider using some flair!
Try This: Throw Off Anxiety with Flair
It is so important to have some techniques that can help you in overcoming anxiety to be your best. If you want to get rid of those worrying feelings, here are some ideas:
- Recognize and acknowledge your anxiety: It is a natural response to stress and difficult situations. Search your emotions for what and why you are reacting. Once you can connect with the issue, you can switch with emotion with a more rational mindset.
- Practice deep breathing and relaxation techniques: When using deep breathing exercises, you will calm your nervous system and reduce anxiety. Additionally, meditation can promote a sense of calmness.
- Challenge your thoughts: If anxiety persists, ask yourself if there is evidence supporting your anxious thoughts or if you're jumping to conclusions. The thoughtfulness of what's behind the anxiety can dispel emotionalism.
- Focus on the present moment: Anxiety tends to thrive on worries about the future. Pay attention to your surroundings, engage your senses, and focus on the immediate tasks at hand to ease your upset.
- Use physical exercise: Go for a walk because physical activity releases endorphins, which can boost your mood. Exercise is a good technique for helping your overall well-being.
Remember, overcoming anxiety takes being patient and kind to yourself throughout the process. The important thing is to seek professional help if the anxiety continues.