As a young adult, I heard that the world was my oyster and offered an amazing pearl of a successful career. The future stretched out ahead with all kinds of possibilities. Yet, with every dream, there are always twists and turns. Some derail us or push us into a different direction than we expected.
Consider these interesting factoids:
- At age 23, Oprah was fired from her first reporting job.
- At age 39, Julia Child released her first cookbook, then got her own cooking show at age 51.
- At age 60, Louise Hay, a motivational author, founded Hay House, a publishing company in self-help, new age, personal growth, and health categories.
- At age 76, Grandma Moses began her painting career.
What about your dream? If you ever thought you’d age-out before achieving it, think again!
Try This: It's Never Too Late
Let's have some fun with re-energizing dreams and goals. Here is a quick exercise of three questions to dispel old disappointments or unexpected turns. Do this each morning this week:
- "How is my path forward?"
- "What’s now possible because of what has changed?"
- "Who else can I help?"
These questions are great for a morning reflection anytime. The key is to distract your mind from negative thoughts and spark your imagination.
Let me know if you reconnect with a dream or goal!