Welcome to September and the beginning of Fall! It's hard for us in Arizona to get too excited about Fall because we still have temperatures above 110 degrees. Yet, I am getting jazzed for a busy holiday season with each fun celebration in the last months of the year.
Lately I've been wondering how I can sustain my energy and positivity during a big push through the end of the year. My hubby, Denny, ran across an article from Gretchen Rubin, author of Life in Five Senses, who studied and researched to find a framework for a happier life. She discovered some ways to use our senses "to focus more deeply, live longer and spark happiness." *
To boost your mood, get you excited for new projects or for focus on reaching big goals, I think you'll really like the ideas below.
Try This: Use Your 5 Senses to Spark Happiness!
Love this idea from Ms. Rubin of using your five senses when stuck or needing a boost. Here is the list*:
- Need a burst of energy and cheer? Use your sense of smell.
- Stressed out? Use your sense of touch.
- Feeling distracted and unproductive? Use your sense of sound.
- Need a creative spark? Use your sense of sight.
- Want to feel closer to other people? Use your sense of taste.
One thing that I started to use is my sense of touch as I walk each morning. When passing a tree or large bush, I "high five" the leaves and thank it for the shade, beauty, oxygen, protection, and home for birds. That little act of touching nature and being grateful does help take away stress and gets me ready for the day!
What sense will you use today?
* Gretchen Rubin, author of Life in Five Senses: https://www.cnbc.com/2023/04/18/i-spent-10-years-studying-the-secret-to-happiness-heres-the-no-1-thing-i-overlooked-the-entire-time.html